cupcake follow-up! chocolate malted from martha stewart



As soon as she saw my post from Saturday, my sister was deeply interested. "When are you going to make those cupcakes?" She asked. And then the next day, "You haven't made cupcakes yet. Where are the cupcakes?" So today, while she was at school, I made the cupcakes!



My fabulous team of ingredients. The only things I had to buy for this recipe was sour cream, malt powder, and the cocoa powder, which is why I picked this first. A lot of Martha's recipes are very fancy/specialized, but you can definitely find ones that are more tailored to kitchen basics.

First the dry ingredients:


Then the wet:


I forgot to take a picture of the batter all mixed together; to be honest, I'm kind of terrified of electric mixers. Usually I just do whatever mixing I have to by hand, but this was my cupcake adventure, so I obeyed Martha and whipped our the electric. And I didn't even end up with a humorous poof of cocoa and flour in my face!

My actual baking was a little bit out of the ordinary. Our oven has been broken for a while now, and to tide us over until we get around to replacing it, my parents bought a little countertop oven that has convection settings as well. The only downside is that it's basically a 12x12 oven: a cupcake tray does not fit. So we bought silicone cupcake molds, and I just set those on top of one of the oven's little baking trays.



Ta-da! The directions said to fill the cups halfway, which I did...resulting in the first batch of tiny cupcakes, that look sort of like little golf balls in cupcake wrappers. The rest I filled up more generously, and they came out looking just lovely.

I was going to make the vanilla frosting Martha recommended, but there wasn't time. We dusted them with powdered sugar instead. They were delicious just like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails