shop indie this year

In order to celebrate the season the best way I know how, I'll be posting the 12 Days of DIY December here. Check back every day for something new to make, bake, or create to get ready for Christmas!

"But Jennifer," I hear you say, "buying something is the opposite of DIYing it." This is technically true, but for the last day of my 12 Days of DIY December, I really wanted to remind all of you that if you don't have the time/tools/skills/energy to DIY, it's super awesome to support independent and local businesses. They're DIYing (DIT? Doing-It-Themselves?) it so we can enjoy their expertise. Since I moved to the city, I've become so much more aware of the amazing artisans working in Milwaukee - and I'd bet there's a great community of creators in your city too! If you are in Milwaukee, Local First Milwaukee is a great resource to find locally owned businesses, but don't forget to do your own digging and exploring too! You never know what you might find.

Buying prints from artists, checking out handmade items on Etsy, or exploring the creations of local makers is a great way to keep the DIY spirit in the holidays and find gifts that the special people on your list will be (hopefully) surprised and thrilled to see! It's great to wrap something up that you know was made with love - even if it wasn't your personal love, I think it still counts!

And that brings us to the end of the series - whew! Posting every day was definitely a change from posting...approximately not ever, but it was pretty great in addition to being tough! I hope to virtually see you again before the holidays come, but in case I don't - Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails