the case of the unloved dress: a tale of fashion mystery

I had my very own fashion mystery the other week, albeit a rather sedate one. The cast of characters is me, your intrepid and loyal blogger*



and this dress

Now, I bought this dress over the summer while out shopping with my oldest friends. We had both grabbed a grand quantity of dresses from the sale racks (she was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding, and I was looking for any ol' dress) and jammed into a single dressing room. I picked this dress over a slick bright pink Joan Holloway sort of number that I loved, but couldn't imagine wearing around campus. I wore it to some family event (my grandma's birthday?) and then packed it away in my closet.

Days and weeks went by, months, and for some reason, I decided that I didn't like the dress anymore. "Oh you," I would think, glaring at it in the closet whenever I would shift past it. It became a symbol to me of my constant mantra while shopping: If you won't wear it, it's not a bargain. No matter how on sale it is.

Flash forward to a dreary day last week. I wanted to wear something fun, with a little kick, and none of my dresses were really speaking to me. "I guess I can try you on," I told The Dress, my last resort. I slipped it on and...

I really liked it. I honestly have no idea how or why I convinced myself I didn't; it has many of the qualities I love in a dress: black, white, polka dots, belt, vintage-inspired silhouette. It fits just fine. It's a fashion mystery, but even if it's never solved, at least there's a happy ending! I wore the dress, got some compliments, and intend to wear it again with my foxy blue heels to set off the yellow in the belt and lining. Isn't that a beautiful story?

Has this ever happened to you? Or am I the only one with random and fickle (ha ha) clothing prejudices?

*I am possibly too enamored with making gifs of myself. I made it here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails