ootd: grandpa's birthday

It's my very first outfit post! (woo wooo!)

This weekend we celebrated my grandfather's 81st birthday. We went out to dinner so, of course, I took the opportunity to try out some new pieces and make an outfit worth sharing. Unlike many fashionistas and like most people (I hope!), I don't wear things worth posting every day of my life. But I'd like the percentages to shift a bit more in the favor of postable. And outfit posts are likely to remain few and far between, especially since I have no one to take my pictures in the mornings. Still, no use talking the talk if you can't walk the walk, as it were, and I thought my hair looked pretty good!



And a detail shot to show off some of my accessories. I really do love a good cocktail ring, and I can (obviously) never have enough pearls. I also really enjoy shoulder details; I don't have particularly narrow shoulders, but I don't have especially broad ones either, so I find that a bit of volume at the shoulders help balance out my hips and my preference for skirts with a bit of poof.

You can't see it here, but I also wore earrings with pearls. It was a bit matchy, but since they were behind my hair post of the time, I thought it was okay. I like to think of it as using echoes; I also used purple eyeshadow for my primary color (UD's "Ecstasy") despite wearing a purple shirt. I usually wouldn't let things match so well, but the purples weren't quite the same color, and my eye makeup ends up a lot more subtle than it otherwise would through my glasses. (And purple brings out my eyes, so!) And I had pops of color in the red of the shoes and the tiny flash of yellow from the ring, pulling it all in and giving it a little extra oomph.

Everything in this outfit was either on sale, second hand, or gifted--I'm a pretty thrifty shopper, as most students are by necessity, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun and develop a style!

Top: Kohl's
Skirt: thrifted
Tights: Post from Etsy (they're the peacock tights!)
Shoes: Kohl's
Ring: Francesca's Closet
Necklace JC Penney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails