sunday brunch

I've always had a bit of a fixation on the idea of big communal breakfasts on the weekends. It's a little strange, since I'm not a huge fan of breakfast foods and, in fact, don't really eat breakfast any other day of the week. When I was living in Ham House (my campus apartment this past year), we always had grand plans for epic Sunday breakfasts but they only came to fruition once or twice. It was tough for it all to pull together, and when I came home, we all woke up at such disparate times, my parents would be done with breakfast by the time I was up--and by then, it was practically time for lunch!

But I'm waking up earlier on my "off" days, now that I'm up early for work, so the past two weeks my parents and I have enjoyed a nice Sunday brunch. Last weekend I made a delicious skillet scramble with homemade hashbrowns, ham, onion, and eggs. This weekend, we had three bananas on their way to funky town, so I made banana bread!



Easy Banana Bread
Adapted from SimplyRecipes

3 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350F. Smash your bananas in a large bowl. Mix in butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg. Add baking soda, salt, and flour. Pour into a greased bread pan and bake for approx. 1 hour. (It took my bread around 45 minutes, but we recently replaced the heating element in the oven and it is now SuperOven!) Let cool, and serve!



Delicious! It's a very moist bread, pretty dense, and it crumbles apart easily...but I also might not have let it cool for long enough. It's great on its own, but I like to spread on a little bit of butter. Add some more fruit and some delicious breakfast proteins, and you're all set:



Yum! I hope lazy Sunday brunch becomes a tradition in my house, and one that I can take with me wherever I may go. It's a great way to start the day and makes what might otherwise be a normal day of chores (and HGTV) seem a little bit more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails