kiss and makeup: out the door in four

Disclaimer: I am definitely not a makeup guru. I don't get paid to put it on, and I probably don't even own enough (YET) to be counted a true devotee. But two of my friends told me upon returning to school that they'd considered makeup purchases over the summer, but wanted to wait and get my opinion on it--so I think I have dispensation to give a little bit of advice.

I considered doing a "my five" makeup post, but I didn't want to be limited because I...like to talk about makeup! So I've started a new feature, kiss and makeup, to dole out the little tips/tricks/thoughts I've gotten from wearing makeup, watching Youtube videos, reading books, all those special places. If there's a specific topic you'd like me to go into more deeply, let me know! Leave me a comment, send me an e-mail, tweet me -- any way you can!

For the first post, I thought I'd take on that most classic realm of makeup talk: the "five minute face." Because I like rhymes, I decided not to call my post that, but it's the same concept. Quick, easy makeup that's perfect for class, summer, and any time you're running out the door without a lot of time to put on makeup and probably not in need of too much look.

one: powder your nose
For most of us, there's no reason to put on a full foundation or even a full face of powder for everyday/casual looks. Dust some powder over your "problem" areas--I tend to get red around my nose and cheeks--or skip it all together. No one in your Contemporary Women Poets or Contagious Diseases class is going to notice your complexion isn't perfectly even. You don't need a full face of makeup on to leave the house. Promise.

two: walk the line
I'll talk more in depth about eyeshadow in another post, but if you're really at a loss for time: skip it! Use a colorful (but forgiving) eyeliner instead! Lately I've been rocking Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in El Dorado. I'm really enamored of the Glide-Ons because they do what it says on the box: glide on. So far, it's the only brand of eyeliner I can actually wear (I have really sensitive crybaby eyes that don't like to be prodded) and I don't mind because the colors are fantastic. A touch of El Dorado gives me a slight pop of color without making me feel overdone for just running to class or the store.

three: fifteen lashes with a wet noodle
There are amazing mascaras that, with a primer coat and a few minutes of teasing, will give you sky-high lashes (I think that's actually the promo for one). That is not the mascara you want when you have seven minutes to get to class and you don't even know where your shoes are. We all have "out on the town" makeup, but though nighttime makeup and daytime makeup is mostly a distinction of application, not product, it really can make a difference. If you're going to put on mascara everyday, it's worth getting an "everyday" mascara with which you can get your desired results quickly and easily. Alternately, you need mascara that can do both. I've used UD's Big Fatty mascara in the past, but I'm currently enamored of plain-old Covergirl Lashblast. If I sit and wiggle-flick my lashes into submission, I get lush, dark volume, but it only takes two brushes over my lashes to thicken them up and get them as ready as I need them to be.

four: choose your poison
Lips can really tie a look together, turn up the volume, or just chillax. It all depends on your style and what you want to do with them. For your fast and dirty going-to-class look, stick with one product. You might go with lipgloss: it's fast to put on, forgiving, and makes your lips luscious in mere moments. But lipgloss is also often ultra-sticky, so if you're wearing your hair down, be prepared to tug it off your lips every few minutes. Maybe you want lipstick: not quite so fast, but it can make a look fancier/louder without too much extra effort. It does have a the possibility of dressing you up too far; lipstick draws attention. Maybe you just want a tinted balm or maybe you're just going to go without. The important thing is that you don't have the time to craft the perfect lipstick + gloss combo -- figure out what goes and then go with it.

And with those four, you'll be out the door in approx. 4 minutes. If you're late for class/work/lunch/function/hearing because you trusted this guide, just send 'em to me and I'll set things straight.

3 comments:

  1. Nice sum up! I don't wear makeup often so your quick tips are my night-out wear, but I love your style and humor. :)
    I too use Covergirl Lashblaster when I put on mascara. It's nice because it comes off easy and you don't have to fight it at night when all you want to do is roll into bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I do the exact same thing nowadays. I used to wear neutral shadows to class but that extended my makeup time to 15 minutes so I had to ditch it. Eyeliner really works, though. I use a darker, friendlier shade but the concept's the same.

    I love your blog! I've been subscribed to your RSS feed for awhile now but I think this is my first comment. Anyway, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @orockthro Thanks hon <3 It is nice to have mascara that stays put but goes when you need it to -- I used to fight with Big Fatty for whole minutes ;)

    @Mia R Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I wear shadows to class if I remember that I need to get ready more than five minutes before I have to leave, whoops!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails